Saturday, June 19, 2010

Go barefoot. Everywhere.

Gloom June.
A term I have never heard before used to describe California, however, it's true here in San Diego. It's cloudy in the morning, sunny, then cloudy again. It's also chilly. Sweatshirts are a necessity.

I haven't found a job... and although I am still looking... in the meantime I am volunteering at Invisible Children and am hoping to work with the Ronald McDonald house. I also realized, just this morning, that maybe not being busy every second of the day isn't so bad. Once I get back to school I am not sure when I have time to breathe. So maybe, I can spend a lot of time reading some books and studying some of the Old Testament (something I have always wanted to do). So I decided not to overbook myself. Enjoy it out here and not be so caught up on being occupied. This is a once in a lifetime thing, and I want to soak every minute up.

I went body surfing and boogie boarding this past week. The waves are so strong out here. And huge! It was really fun though. Today (Saturday) I am going to go surfing after I finish my laundry.

Cool story. I went to my church for the first time this past Sunday. It's called New Break Pacific Beach. The were saying goodbye to a couple and announced they were moving to Knoxville, TN. Afterward, I went up and introduced myself. Turns out that Freddy applied for a job at West! I sent the principal an email asking him to consider giving Freddy an interview for the position. When he moves to Knoxville, I plan on having him, his wife, and daughter over for dinner.
Also, I absolutely love my church. The people are friendly, the worship is fantastic, and most importantly they are teaching truth. The pastor is so humble and it is clear that he loves Jesus.

This past week has been called "Killing the Giants." We focus on struggles in our life that hold us back. Fears. Sin. Anything. One of mine was trusting in the Lord's promises. I tend to think "what if He doesn't show up?" So this week I stepped out in faith. I EXPECTED Him to keep His promises. Mostly, the focus was on being filled with the Holy Spirit and the frustration that I was experiencing due to His lack of presence in my life. Thankfully, this past week I have been so encouraged. I have such a peace now knowing that He is never going to leave me be. I had the head knowledge but not the heart knowledge.
I have also been learning how to have quiet times and pray. The importance of verse memorization is another important topic I'm realizing it's necessity.

Talking to people on the beach and campus can sometimes be encouraging and other times discouraging (or saddening). I have talked to only 2 people who know how to become a Christian. The majority say the have no idea or make up some crazy explanation. It's neat to see how open a lot of them are and willing to discuss spiritual matters. At first, it was hard for me to not look at them as a "target." I had the method in my head: survey, KGP. Now, I simply go up and try to get to know them and understand who they are. If the Lord leads to share the KGP, then great! If not, that's okay, too. I invite them to Friday Night Live (a ministry we put on).

The friendships here on project are real and honest. We know each others hurts and struggles, weaknesses, frustrations. Everything. Everyone is encouraging, but also ask the tough questions and hold you accountable. I feel like I have know these girls for years.

So all in all, things are going fantastic. I have been here for 3 weeks. Although it feels like months. haha. My mom is visiting in a week and a half. I am looking forward to going out to eat... oh yeah and seeing her, too. Just kidding, love you mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment